We learned a great deal from our Buddhist guides while in Myanmar. For example, the people there don’t have family names (surnames). Their last name is the day of the week they were born. They divide Wednesday into two days: Midnight to 12 noon is one day; noon to midnight another day. That way there are eight days in the week—and eight is a “lucky” number.
It is their belief that the day of the week they are born determines their personalities. There are certain days of the week—let’s say Monday. If you’re born that day, then you would not make a good match with a person born on another day—let’s say Wednesday. An astrologer is consulted before a wedding to ensure a good match according to the astrological chart.
As a follower of Jesus, I believe astrology is the “interpretation” of an assumed influence the stars and planets have on human destiny. According to the Bible, this is a false belief.
- In Daniel 1:20 the royal astrologers of the Babylonian court were put to shame by God’s prophet Daniel.
- The astrologers were powerless to interpret the king’s dream in Daniel 2:27.
- God specifies astrologers as among those who will be burned as stubble in God’s judgment in Isaiah 47:13-14.
- We read in Deuteronomy 18:10-14 that astrology as a form of divination is forbidden in Scripture.
- In Deuteronomy 4:19 God forbid the children of Israel to worship or serve the “host of heaven.”
- We read in 2 Kings 17:16 that the Israelites fell into that very sin several times. Their worship of the stars brought God’s judgment each time.
- In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom. Daniel 1:20
- Daniel replied, “No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain to the king the mystery he has asked about. Daniel 2:27
- All the counsel you have received has only worn you out! Let your astrologers come forward, those star-gazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you. Surely they are like stubble; the fire will burn them up. They cannot even save themselves from the power of the flame. These are not coals for warmth; this is not a fire to sit by. Isaiah 47:13-14
- And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars—all the heavenly array—do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the Lord your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven. Deuteronomy 4:19
- They forsook all the commands of the Lord their God and made for themselves two idols cast in the shape of calves,and an Asherah pole. They bowed down to all the starry hosts, and they worshiped Baal. 2 Kings 17:16
- SONG: THE PARALYTIC – Music by Kathleen, Lyrics from Mark 2:3, 5-12
This life is temporary. This life is short. When this life is over, our bodies will die and become empty shells, but our souls will continue to live forever. Where will the “real you” live? Will you live for all eternity separated from God? Or will you spend eternity in the presence of God in heaven? Learn more so you can make your most important decision: http://www.godlife.com/gospel/ and http://www.godlife.com/en/about-christianity
[To leave a comment or prayer request, simply click on the TITLE of this post and scroll to the bottom.]