I was teaching a workshop on evangelism. The first thing I wanted to do was make sure we were all on the same page. So I asked three questions:
1. “How many of you believe the entire Bible is the complete Word of God?”
2. “How many believe Revelation 21:8 is true – that ‘all unbelievers will have their place in the fiery lake of burning sulfur, which is the second death?'”
3. “How many believe Jesus’ Great Commission in Matthew 28:19, ‘Go and make disciples of all nations’ is a command for us as the body of believers, and not just for pastors and missionaries?”
I was pleased to see that with each question asked, every hand went up. I said, “If we believe these things are true, are we not compelled to do all we can to bring people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ?
“Remember John Wesley? He was an 18th century British evangelist who once said, ‘We have one business in life, to save souls.’
“When I first read his words I wondered, ‘Is this correct? Is not the Holy Spirit the One who saves souls?’ So I did some research and found several Scriptures that supported his statement:
1. “How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?” 1 Corinthians 7:16
2. “I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.” 1 Corinthians 9:22b
3. “Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.” 1 Timothy 4:16
4. “Save others by snatching them from the fire.” Jude 1:23a
If we just think of The Golden Rule we know it’s true: “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.” Matthew 7:12
If I were drowning, I would want someone to save me. If I were lost, I would want someone to seek and find me. It’s simple, really. Do we care about others? Really care? Then we need to tell them.
- Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:15
- So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12
SONG: WE HAVE ONE BUSINESS IN LIFE – by Kathleen