A friend challenged me: “Where did evil come from?” I said, “That’s a tough one. Perhaps evil came from Satan.” She countered, “Where did Satan get it?”
Later I was reading in Romans 1:20-21 and there was the answer! “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—His eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.”
That’s it! God’s invisible attributes are seen and understood by the things that are made! When people do not acknowledge Him as God, nor thank Him, the result is darkened hearts of sin. If we continue reading in Romans 1, we see the first sin people turned to was idolatry. Then followed every other evil imaginable.
Simply put: Evil originated when people refused to honor God and give Him thanks.
Do we realize how important it is to thank God? Are we remembering throughout the day, to acknowledge God’s presence, God’s provision, God’s protection, and most importantly, God’s love? God is willing to forgive the most evil sinners when they are willing to receive God’s free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, and turn away from their sinful ways. That is awesome!
What about the bad stuff? Must we thank God for everything?
God wants us to give thanks. Ephesians 5:20 says: “always giving thanks to God the Father for everything.” Is that difficult? Yes it is! But when we are obedient in this, God blesses. Moreover, we are showing God that we trust Him. Trusting God is what the Christian life is all about.
- …always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:20
- But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
- For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools. Romans 1:20-22
- Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- DO NOT BE ANXIOUS – By Kathleen
This life is temporary. This life is short. When this life is over, our bodies will die and become empty shells, but our souls will continue to live forever. Where will the “real you” live? Will you live for all eternity separated from God? Or will you spend eternity in the presence of God in heaven? Learn more so you can make your most important decision: http://www.godlife.com/gospel/ and http://www.godlife.com/en/about-christianity
[To leave a comment or prayer request, simply click on the TITLE of this post and scroll to the bottom.]