A friend and I were walking on the fishing pier seeking to share the Lord with fishermen, or anyone who might appreciate prayer or learning more about Jesus.
One group of young fishermen were open to our “good news tracts” about Jesus. I said, “May I ask you a question?”– I’ve learned that if I ask permission to ask a question, they’re more apt to cooperate — “If you were to die today do you know where you would spend eternity?”
One young guy blurted, “I’m suicidal! When I’m ready to die I will go into a deep sleep forever.”
“But the Bible does not tell us we’ll sleep forever. All we know about the afterlife is what we read in the Bible. Did you know you have a soul? Your soul is the life of your body. When your body dies, your soul will not sleep. It will continue to live on for all eternity. This life on earth is short. It’s what we do with Jesus in this life, that determines where we spend eternity – and there are only two options: heaven or hell. Hell is real. Jesus talked more about hell than He did heaven!”
Then I asked him, “How would you respond to God if He were to ask you, ‘Why should I allow you into My heaven?'”
“I try to be good. I’m an honest person. I do my best.”
I said, “I believe you. You look like a good person. But the Bible tells us that no one is good enough. We are all sinners and we all need a Savior. Do you believe that?”
All three of the guys nodded in agreement.
“Have you ever wondered how a good God could send people to a burning fiery hell?”
They all responded in unison: “Yeah, I’ve wondered about that.”
“God does not send people to hell. We’re already going to hell, because we are all sinners! That’s why Jesus came–to save us so we don’t have to go there! Those little booklets in your hands will explain to you how you can receive Christ’s forgiveness and know for certain that you will go to heaven. Will you read it?”
All three responded while nodding, “Yeah!”
As we walked away I looked back. All three were reading.
- The message in the booklet: https://www.cru.org/us/en/how-to-know-god/would-you-like-to-know-god-personally.html
- For “you were like sheep going astray,” but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. 1 Peter 2:25
- Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Psalm 16:9-10 KJV
- But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” Revelation 21:8
- JOHN 3:16-18 – Arrangement and music by Kathleen
This life is temporary. This life is short. When this life is over, our bodies will die and become empty shells, but our souls will continue to live forever. Where will the “real you” live? Will you live for all eternity separated from God? Or will you spend eternity in the presence of God in heaven? Learn more so you can make your most important decision: http://www.godlife.com/gospel/
[To leave a comment or prayer request, simply click on the TITLE of this post and scroll to the bottom.]