I once heard that “Seven seconds of boldness can change a life.” I think about that phrase often, especially when I see an opportunity.
A few days before Easter I took some invitations for Easter Sunday Church to hand out at a Good News Club — a ministry of Child Evangelism Fellowship. When the parents arrived to pick up their children, I’d say, “Do you have a church to attend this Easter Sunday? If not, I’d like to offer you an invitation! Some parents said, “Thanks, but I already have a church!” Others said, “No, I don’t have a church! I’ll take one!” Seven seconds!
Yesterday while walking through a shopping mall parking lot I saw an older teenager taking a break from his job. He was wearing the store uniform and leaning against a wall smoking a cigarette. I stopped in front of him and smiled. Then said, “Did anyone ever tell you that cigarettes aren’t good for you?”
He smiled back. “Yeah, I know.”
“While you’re relaxing, perhaps you’d like something to read.” I handed him a Good News booklet and said, “It’s about Jesus.”
He said, “Thank you!”
I walked away and then looked back. He was reading it.
“Dear Lord, Thank You for giving me the boldness to speak to him. Would you now speak to his heart through the booklet? Show him how much You love him and draw him to Yourself. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
- He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” Mark 16:15
- The booklet I used: http://www.cru.org/how-to-know-god/would-you-like-to-know-god-personally.html
- To order: https://books.google.com/books/about/Would_You_Like_to_Know_God_Personally_PK.html?id=naEPAgAACAAJ&source=kp_cover
- For more information on Good News Clubs: https://www.cefonline.com/ministries/goodnewsclub/
- SONG: GOD IS READY – Words & Music by Kathleen; Robin poem by Elizabeth Cheney, circa 1931